Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Washer/ Dryer Covers

In May 2010, we moved into our house here and purchased our first washer and dryer set. I just loved the way the new and clean and white washer and dryer looked in our laundry room. Then, in August, Jazz the cat joined the family causing us to cover our washer and dryer with a purple and pink blanket, see below. This allowed him to be able to jump on the washer and dryer without scratching the top of it. His claws haven't been declawed. For months, I have wanted to make a cover for the tops of the washer and dryer and finally was able to get something made this spring while I was on Spring Break. For a while, I contemplated how how I was going to attach the fabric to the washer and dryer. Do I use velcro? Ties? Straps? Etc.. Finally, it hit me, I should use magnets inside the covers.

I picked up one yard of polka dot fabric for the top, one yard of green fabric for the bottom and a strip on the top, one yard of white flannel and a set of medium strength magnets. All from Hobby Lobby for around $12.00. I measured the dimensions of the washer and dryer and cut my fabric accordingly. I pieced together a strip for the top and for the bottom of both to give it a little bit more color and style. Then I cut triangles for the magnets to be housed in and sewed them onto the flannel. Once all the magnets were in, I sewed the entire project together, ironed it and then top stitched it.Pretty simple and I just love the way it looks and how it brightens up my laundry room. 
 
Before:

 After:


Thanks for stopping in! Hope you are having a great Labor Day weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment