Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Karin's Spanish Rice


For years, I had been on the hunt for a really good Spanish rice recipe, but found no success until my pal, Karin, brought over this dish for dinner one night. It was, by far, the best Spanish rice I’d ever tasted. Fortunately, she was willing to share her secret.

2 c. white rice 
1/4 c. canola oil
½ yellow onion, chopped
bell pepper, any color, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
approx. 2 tsp each salt, pepper, cumin
a few shakes of hot sauce
2 c. water or chicken broth

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the rice and cook until golden brown (10-15 min). Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté 5 min more. Add the garlic; sauté for 3 min.
Add tomato sauce, broth/water, and seasonings. Stir and turn up heat to high, bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 2 min. Then, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 min. 


2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy... I'll have to try it! For a really quick easy throw-together-from-the-pantry Mexican rice, I cook regular rice with 2/3 the recommended amount of water and an equal amount of jarred salsa. Then I usually add a can of black or kidney beans after it's cooked. It's by no means the BEST rice, but you can't beat the ease, and you usually have all the stuff already in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I use brown rice? Have you?

    ReplyDelete