Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

My husband and I love, love, love Mexican food. I make something with a Mexican flair at least once a week. I saw this recipe for stuffed peppers online and I have really been wanting to try it. My husband does not eat many vegetables so he ate the stuffing mix in a tortilla. Despite the fact that we love Mexican food, I don't LOVE spicy food so I always cut down the spices in my cooking. Overall I was pleased with how the peppers came out. Maybe next time I will get a little more daring with the spices.



Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner


2 peppers
1-2 Tbsp of minced onion
2 tsp garlic powder
1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 cup water, divided
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (I omitted)
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup sweet corn
1/2 cup of shredded cheese of your choice
2 servings of instant rice or Mexican rice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice your peppers in half. Once the oven had preheated, place the peppers on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the skins start to blister.

2. While the peppers are cooking, put 1/4 cup of water, black beans, minced onion, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper into a sauce pan. Mix together and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until the mixture starts to look mushy. You may need to add water from time to time to keep the beans from burning.

3. Cook rice as directed while your beans cook.

4. When the bean mixture is done, stir in the corn.

5. Place a spoonful of rice and a spoonful of the beans into each pepper half. Top with shredded cheese.

6. Broil for 4-5 minutes.

7. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment