Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cheese Burger Mac and Cheese

I am not usually a huge red meat eater but when my husband and I moved to South Texas I tried Whataburger. You may ask what is Whataburger??? It is just a fast food restaurant but for some reason I love their burgers! I do not eat fast food a lot and usually I feed my Whataburger craving with a turkey burger made at home but the other night I decided to make Cheese Burger Mac and Cheese. It was really good!!


At first glance this looks gross but it tastes wonderful!! I combined a few recipes and this was the result!

For the burger:
1lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion chopped OR 1 Tbsp minced onion
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard (I used one big squirt)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

For the Mac and Cheese:
8 oz pasta (bow tie, elbow, etc)
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
8 oz. shredded cheese
3 cups milk or less if you want cheese thicker

1. Cook ground beef in a skilled with the onion. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

2. Boil pasta according to the package directions while the beef is cooking.

3. When beef is browned through, drain in excess grease. Mix in the Ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.

4. After pasta has been cooked and drained, melt the butter in a sauce pan and then add the flour.
When the butter/flour is golden in  color add the milk. Stir until the milk is bubbly and thick. This should take 5-10 minutes.

5. Once the sauce has thickened, add the cheese.

6. Combine the cheese sauce and pasta.

7. Serve the Mac and Cheese with the hamburger mixture on top of the pasta or you can mix it all together.

Adapted from BHG and The Pampered Chef.


No comments:

Post a Comment