Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Baby Taggie

One of the reasons that I wanted to learn how to sew was so that someday when I have kids, I will be able to make clothes for them. When I was growing up, my mom always made us our Halloween costumes as well as numerous dresses and outfits. To this day, she still makes me dresses and is currently making me one for my husbands graduation from pilot training.

Once I got my sewing machine from my mom for my birthday, I began to blog "stalk" many different blogs to find ideas for projects. I also have started to pay closer attention to people around me that have kids, to see what I can make for my future kids or for gifts for my friends with babies.

The project that I want to share with you today are baby taggie blankets. Baby taggie blankets are small in size and are great for babies to feel and touch. For this project, I cut one piece of light pink minky 12 1/2 inches by 12 1/2 inches and one piece of white silk material the same size. Then I cut 6 different  (different texture s and widths) ribbons, 5 inches a piece, 4 times. In the end, you will have 24 ribbons, although you can use more or less if you like. Pin the ribbons onto the minky using quilting pins. You will want to make sure that when you sew, you won't run over the pins. The ribbons can be placed wherever you like. I placed mine around 1 1/2 inch apart.( I like things to match! ) Once all the ribbons are attached, place the silk right side facing the right side of the minky and pin in place.


Now off to the sewing machine. Sew 1/2 inch from the edge on all four sides leaving around a 3 inch gap for turning. You will want to make sure that all your ribbons are catching in the stitching. When you have stitched all the way around, flip taggie. At this point, if all the ribbons aren't in, you will want to go back and rip out and sew in the ribbons. Then, you can top stitch around the edge around 1/4 inch closing up the opening.





No comments:

Post a Comment