Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

South Beach Cheesy Frittata

When I went home over Christmas I was surprised to find a change in the typical Bartlett "home cooked meals". My parents decided in the fall to cut sweets and carbs out of their diet and both have lost a bunch of weight! Now, good for them but this was a nightmare for a pregnant woman!! All I wanted was carbs. Luckily, my dad had stocked up on breads for me to eat while I was home. We had this frittata for breakfast a few times and it was super yummy. Now the original recipe calls for egg substitute and evaporated milk buy my mom uses regular eggs and 2% milk.


  • 2 teaspoons margarine or butter (SB says use Smart Balance spread)

  • 1/2 cup onion or scallions , sliced

  • 2 small plum tomatoes , diced

  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil , chopped

  • 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper

  • 4 to 5 eggs

  • 1/2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese

  • 1/4 cup milk

  • 3/4 ounce reduced-fat monterey jack cheese , shredded

  •  Add any of veggies you want like spinach or peppers


  • Saute any vegetables you are putting in the frittata in an oven safe skillet with the butter and pepper. Mix the milk, eggs and cottage cheese in a blender and then pour over the veggies.  Cook in the skillet for a few minutes until the bottom is cooked and the top is wet. Finish cooking in the oven with the broiler for a few minutes and then add the cheese.




    To see the original South Beach recipe:

    Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/south-beach-diet-cheesy-frittata-296997#ixzz1jM6pMnZV

    No comments:

    Post a Comment