Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY Pregnancy Pillow

As I enter the third trimester of my pregnancy it is getting very uncomfortable to sleep. I have seen the pregnancy pillows you can buy in the stores and they are so expensive and take up a lot of room to store after you have the baby. I tried just placing pillows under my stomach and behind my back and they moved around or fell out of the bed all of the time. I came up with this simple and cheap solution to help me sleep better at night.

Materials:
Two king sized pillow cases
2 11x18 inch pieces of material
30 inches of sew on Velcro
coordinating thread
sewing machine

 1. Cut two 11 inch long and 18 inch wide pieces of fabric.









2. Sew a 5 inch piece of Velcro 4 inches from one end and 3 inches from the top and bottom of each piece of fabric.













3. Fold the fabric in half, with the right sides together and sew in a 1/2 inch almost all the way around the edge of each side. On the last side, leave about a 1 inch opening to turn the fabric right side out. Once you have turned the fabric right side out, sew up the hold with a top stitch. Do this with both pieces of fabric.

4. Turn the piece of fabric so that the Velcro is going long ways and the measurements are 10 inches across and about 8 inches down. Then pin one piece of fabric to you pillow case. I pinned mine about 8 inches down the pillow case. Sew the pillow case and fabric piece together. Repeat for the next piece of fabric and pillow case. Make sure when you sew the second piece of fabric you will be able to line up and connect your Velcro.

5. Place your pillows in the cases and attach your pillows together. Try it out!!

I used king sized pillow cases because I can change the size pillows if I need more support. This is easy to travel with because you can take the pillows out and put the pillow cases in your suitcase. Also, you may want to have two strips of Velcro to keep the fabric together better. That is why I put you need 30 inches of Velcro in the materials section.


No comments:

Post a Comment